Google Voice Widget for OS X ‘s dashboard

by Tony Mattke on August 3, 2009

Seriously… Why haven’t we seen this yet? This is the perfect application for the dashboard. Send text messages to your friends / family from the comfort of your computer without having to leave a tab open, or have yet another application running on your menu bar. You could have a growl plugin for it to notify you of messages. Maybe even a Firefox plug-in that click’s to call phone numbers.

To me this seems like one of a very few applications that would be really useful for a dashboard type setting. What do you think? What would you like to see?

About the author:

Tony Mattke is a network engineer for a financial institution in Indiana. In the past he has worked for ISPs, data centers, networking manufacturers, and the occasional enterprise. For feedback, please leave a comment on the article in question. For everything else including fan mail or death threats, contact him via twitter.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

MikeNGo August 12, 2009 at 12:07 pm

See this link for a Google Voice Add-on for Firefox:

Or, this link for Google Voice to Gizmo with X-Lite (sadly it does not seem compatible with OS X):

Andreas Amann August 14, 2009 at 2:43 am

I just released the first version of my Google Voice Dashboard widget “GV Connect” – check it out at:

Felix September 7, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Andreas, I just tried to use your GV connect and it failed to call and to send SMS. thumbs down so far. sorry

Tony August 14, 2009 at 10:36 am

@Andreas Amann
In case he hasn’t updated his site yet.. You can find his GV Connected widget at http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/files/GVConnect.wdgt.zip

The #1 thing I would like to see in this widget is Growl notifications… I like to use the SMS features while on my machine, a opening a web page to continue to check on new messages is annoying.. just my 2p.

Thanks !

Andreas Amann August 27, 2009 at 6:01 am

Take a look at the newly released version 1.5 – now with Growl notifications :-)

Andreas

Tony August 27, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for keeping me updated on this. I am still planning on posting a review once I find some time. This site has been getting TONS of hits for people looking for something like this. I've actually got quite a few emails asking about your widget. Seems most people want an option for the delay between updates…

Anyway, keep us posted, and thanks for a great widget !

adamh August 15, 2009 at 11:55 am

I recently tried the gv connect dashboard widget, and every time I tried to log in and use it, the widget returned an “undefined” message and shut down. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong, or what the fix might be?

Thanks.

Don Juan February 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm

One thing that would make this widget a little bit better. Is if it cleared the message field after you sent the message. This is a cool widget! Growl implementation makes it very nice indeed.